Thursday 14 February 2013

Love

Happy Valentine's Day! I've actually never been a huge fan of all the hearts and candy on February 14th, probably due to spending many a Valentine's Day sans a valentine. I may have been known to string up black hearts on my side of the room in university while my wonderful roomie received hoards of flowers and treats from her boyfriend (now hubby!). Even after Eric and I started dating, Valentine's was never a big focus since our anniversary was about a week earlier and my birthday falls at the end of the month. Lots of cards in February :)

What are our plans this year? I have NO IDEA. I have a love/hate relationship with surprises. So when Eric said about a month ago that he had an idea for Valentine's Day, it has of course been driving me insane ever since. I have also been known to ruin a surprise or two in the past, sometimes unintentionally, sometimes because of a little digging (I'll admit it!). This year, I am proud to say that I still have absolutely no clue what's in store for tonight. I have been told not to look at open computer screens (success!) and was left this note this morning, which miraculously remains unopened:



Let's start from the actual beginning of this day. I woke up at about 5:40am to pee, attempted to go back to sleep, thinking that it would be nice if I got up a bit earlier than usual to make my man a nice pancake breakfast. As I started to drift back to sleep......I remembered we were out of milk. Nice how forgetting to grab milk the night before proceeded to keep me awake for the next hour and a half. I cut my losses with the milk and eventually fell sort of back to sleep, but after waking up and seeing this surprise note, totally regret not dragging myself out of bed and down the street to the grocery store to get milk and make pancakes. I'm sorry love!

As I wrote Eric's card this afternoon, I had a little cry fest. Let's blame it on the pregnancy hormones. Heaven help us all with postpartum hormones mixed with lack of sleep... As incredibly happy and insanely excited I am for baby pea to arrive, I have always felt a little bittersweet about the fact that life with just the two of us is coming to an end. Wow, what is wrong with me...even typing that brings tears to my eyes!

Ok, I've composed myself. Over the past 6 years, this crazy man has gone from a friend, to more than a friend, to my first real boyfriend, to my best friend, to my first love, to my fiance, my husband, and now, the best Daddy-to-be around. We have been so fortunate to have had so many amazing adventures together. I think we can both look back on traveling together as some of our favourite memories, mainly because this was time spent just the two of us, interrupted by work, stress or other commitments, just time to be together.

A month or so into dating, we were pretty comfortable!


 We have read The Five Love Languages (a great book!) and went through it in our marriage prep course. When considering these five love languages, my number one was extremely clear. Quality Time. All I want or need to feel loved from Eric is his time. Of course the other things are important, but secondary to just simply spending time together.

Freshly Engaged!!!

My biggest hope for this next big adventure with our little pea is that we can continue to make time, QUALITY time, for each other, and keep living our same crazy, adventurous, fun life, plus one. I hope that we will stay silly, keep making each other laugh, and end each night cuddled up close, just happy to be together.

Hello Toronto

   
Almost 3 years ago!
One of the moments I am looking forward to most in these coming months is seeing the love of my life hold our little baby for the first time. I have no doubt it will be a defining moment in my life, and I can't wait to see these two meet and start what I know will be a very special bond. That magical moment will likely be interrupted by the fact that we still can't 100% agree on baby's name, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Happy Valentine's Day to all our friends and family, who we love so much! Happy first-ish Valentine's Day to my precious little pea, who is squirming and wiggling away in my belly. And most of all, a very Happy Valentine's Day to my husband, my best friend and my love. Let's see if I can make it to 6:00 before tearing into that note!!!

E + B = Baby Pea!  (...man my belly was tiny here...and this is when I "popped"!)


xoxo

No comments: