Thursday 1 November 2012

Food For the Belly: Dinner


This blog has been missing one integral part of pregnant life: FOOD. I think about food ALL THE TIME. I loved food before I was pregnant, so I love it even more now. Sometimes I'm just selective about what I love and when. For example, chicken. Chicken has been a bit "meh" this whole time. Not a huge fan, but I can still eat it. My sweet tooth has also come and gone. Not so much for the chocolate in the first trimester, which fully shocked me, but now it's coming back and every night I talk about which dessert I wish I had.

With winter coming early in Calgary, we were both craving some nice comfort meals, like soups. This past weekend when we had a rental car, we stocked up big time. Tons of veggies and about 5 cartons of chicken broth. Mmm.

Becky's eyes: 1  Onions: 0


Soup number one was a quick and easy broccoli cheddar soup. I was checking Pinterest for recipes and a few were all about broccoli potato soup. Hmmm. Leftover already roasted potatoes in the freezer that need to be used up? YES. This is me chopping onions. Yes, the sunglasses do help, and yes, I know it makes dicing look way cooler. The broccoli potato and cheddar soup turned out well, though I still feel I need to perfect this one a bit.




Day 2 of souping called for an hour of roasting butternut squash, acorn squash, and our decorative mini pumpkin which was forced to vacate the kitchen table before Halloween. Sorry little guy.

The butternut squash was destined for this Pinterest recipe. I've had it pinned forever but never got around to making it. Now, I had a butternut squash and a package of multicoloured quinoa to use, so voila!




Eric was a huge fan of this one. I thought it was a bit sweet for some reason, but next time maybe some more herbs would help. We are limited on our spices and seasonings around here but it still turned out pretty good. The rest of this went straight to the freezer for another day.

My last soup of this saga was a pumpkin, squash coconut curry soup. I had coconut milk and a pumpkin and looked up a recipe. I'm glad I added the acorn squash since the one pumpkin wouldn't have been enough on its own. We haven't had this for a meal yet, so pics will come later, but I have to say, when it calls for a teeny bit of curry paste, then taste and add more as needed...DO IT. Do not just dump in a whole whack of curry paste at the beginning because your soup will be spicier than heck and you'll regret it. Sigh.

No comments: