Wednesday 28 November 2012

Food for the Belly: Dinner


In my opinion, there's nothing like a good lasagna. Lasagna is probably one of my favourite things to make. Even though it takes a while to put everything together, and I have yet to find non-boil noodles to skip that step, it's so nice to have everything in one pan, bubbling away for an hour before coming out golden brown and bubbling.

I also like the freedom of playing around with the recipe. I've probably never made the same lasagna twice. I usually keep the same basics, which for us is noodles, Classico tomato sauce (nothing but!), ground turkey, mushrooms, zucchini, and of course, mozzarella or Italian blend shredded cheese. This time, I had some fresh basil leaves, some spinach and a bit of  pesto that also went into the mix. Sometimes I'll throw in cottage cheese, and I bought ricotta to use once, but found it wasn't really worth it. Eric called this guy "one of your best"!







In terms of a "recipe", here's the basics. Boil noodles. Brown turkey. Slice mushrooms and zucchini (not too thin on the zuke or it will get mushy) and saute in olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette. Mix together turkey, veggies, sauce and a bit of cheese. Put a bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan, then layer 3 noodles, filling, 3 noodles, filling. I usually use 12 noodles, so it's a 4 layer lasagna. Cover with cheese, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour, uncovering it for the last 10 mins or so or turn the oven to broil to brown the cheese. Yum!

No comments: