Tuesday 2 October 2012

No More S'mores

Well, it was either the after effects of the crazy anticipation and plans and excitement of telling the other grandparents-to-be and our closest friends our news...or it was that darn s'more.

I had my first bout of "what on earth is happening to my body, I feel like I've been hit by a garbage truck" feeling this past weekend. At this point, I'm not even convinced it was pregnancy related, but man did I feel AWFUL. I don't think I've slept that much in one day in my entire life. Thank heavens the little pea isn't making me too sick so far (knock on wood) because if I felt like that every day, I wouldn't even be functioning.

So, more people in the inner circle! We told my husband's parents this past weekend, which went exactly as I expected. I know them well. It may take a bit for it to actually sink in, but they were pretty excited.



The next day, we were heading away for the weekend with our closest friends. You know, the ones who used to live across the train tracks from us in the big city and ditched us for a house and giant backyard in Kitchener... No hard feelings. We had the perfect idea of how to tell them, but pulling it off was another story. My stomach was in knots ALL day, and we had to keep quiet for the whole 3 hour car ride (plus a pee break, thank heavens). The four of us love the word games Bananagrams and Pears in a Pear, and after seeing a pregnancy announcement on youtube via a game of Bananagrams, I knew we had to do the same when telling them. So, after subtly requesting that Pears be the game of choice for the weekend, and not-so-subtly making SURE it was in the car, and then brought into the house, we agonized on how we were going to get it set up properly to make sure I had the right letters for the announcement.

Hours passed and I wondered if I should Google how a stomach ulcer affects pregnancy...until finally everyone decided it was time for a late night pizza run. I had Eric seize the opportunity to get the game set up in the basement, just to be ready for when we got back. Thankfully, our friends walked right into each step of the plan, even suggesting that we play one game before we go for pizza, you know, one for the road, since it's already all set up and everything... I sat in my designated seat and on the starting mark of "PEARS!" we turned over our tiles. My hands were shaaaaaking as I spelled out We Are Pregnant with my tiles and nervously waited for the right moment to draw attention to it.



Finally, the game was called and at first glance, I got a "well, those aren't pairs"...followed by a scream of "WHAAAAAT!!!!" It's such a huge relief every time we let someone in on our secret. Every time it makes things seem more and more real, for us too. We were even able to show off our very early first ultrasound photo of our little 3.6 millimetre babe.





It's still surreal that something so tiny has already had such a huge impact on our lives.

And how a 3.6 millimetre being turns a chocoholic off s'mores...

No comments: