Tuesday 2 October 2012

Pea Goes West

Our little pea will now be born with the travel bug, seeing that it's first flight will be at the ripe old age of 11 weeks gestation. Yes, we're heading west. And yes, it's true, that everything happens when you least expect it, and all at the same time.

We found out back in June about a temporary assignment with my husband's company that would send us to Calgary for 3 months. We discussed and listed pro's and con's but really, Calgary for three months when I'm not tied down with a full-time job and we don't have a packed fall social calendar like summer, was a no-brainer. As long as we left after my cousin's wedding on September 8, I was good to go. Something about it just felt right, and even my perpetual indecisiveness couldn't stand in the way of me saying, "why not!". 

Plans had been in the works for a few weeks, and we had told family and close friends about our potential move. With the pace of decision making on something like this in the corporate world, weeks went by without a definitive answer. Were we going for sure, not going, do we sublet our place here, where would we stay out there....questions piled up without any answers. 

Until August 3. Oh wait, wasn't August 3 the day I found out I was pregnant? Why, yes! As a matter of fact, the text from my husband saying that head office had approved the assignment, came about 5 minutes after I left the clinic. We're going to Calgary, and I'm pregnant. Well. 

So these past few weeks have been a bit of a blur, with sublet agreements, blood work, digging winter coats out of storage, ultrasounds, collecting boxes for packing and scheduling midwife appointments. I still think deep down that this was meant to be. Talk about a babymoon, even though it is a working vacation! I feel like normally, I'd be completely freaking out. But by some miracle, I'm surprisingly calm, and really looking forward to our time out west, and the quality time of just the two of us before baby makes three. It'll be hard being away from friends and family in such an exciting time, I'm still a bit nervous about finding care in Calgary for appointments and check ups, but I'm confident things will work out. Wow, is today Optimism Day? Calgary, here we come! 

No comments: